Every passenger eventually wonders if they can bring aerosols on a flight. It depends on the Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) 3-1-1 regulations and any country-specific rules. But you can take aerosols on planes if you follow the guidelines.
Before putting aerosols in your bag, it is a good idea to check with the country of origin and the country of destination to see if they are allowed. It will help to avoid any extra costs or delays.
Can you bring aerosol products in your hand luggage on a plane?
You are allowed to bring aerosol products such as hairspray, dry shampoo, sunscreen, deodorant, perfume, hair mousse, and shaving cream on the plane, but you must make sure to familiarize yourself with the rules first.
You must be aware of the restrictions on liquids when bringing them on board. According to the TSA’s 3-1-1 rule, you can have no more than 100ml (3.4 ounces) of liquids in your carry-on or hand luggage.
- The item should be put in a tightly sealed container that does not allow any leakage.
- Containers that are too big will not be accepted.
- Furthermore, the liquid container or bag must be transparent and quart-size with a zip closure.
- Only one of these items is allowed per ticketed passenger in either a handbag or a carry-on bag.
- Although items such as bug spray and sunscreen can be placed in your suitcase, it is advised to leave aerosol-based products behind, as they will reduce the number of aerosols in your bag.
- Moreover, regardless of the regulations, aerosol insecticides, flammable gels, and liquids are not allowed in your luggage.
- Cooking oil in a spray can,
- compressed air,
- aerosol paint,
- And laundry stiffening powder.
Are aerosol cans allowed as checked baggage on airplanes?
Despite some restrictions, it is much simpler for travelers to pack aerosols in their checked baggage for 2021, 2022, and beyond. People usually opt to bring aerosols in their checked luggage when they need to bring more than what can be packed in the carry-on.
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) states that travelers are allowed to include aerosol toiletry items in their checked bags as long as the total weight of the aerosols does not exceed 70 ounces. Each aerosol container must have a capacity of 18 ounces or less.
- It would help if you stored the necessary aerosol in a securely sealed container.
- Make sure the lid is tightly closed.
- It’s always a good idea to place such items in an additional bag to prevent potential leakage.
Do you have the ability to bring aerosol sunscreen on an airplane?
Yes, passengers are allowed to bring sunscreen while traveling. However, they must follow the guidelines set by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). According to the regulations, aerosol items such as sunscreen should not be larger than 100ml or 3.4 ounces when packed in a carry-on bag.
- For checked luggage, each passenger is allowed a maximum of 70 pounds.
- Each container containing sunscreen should not be more than 500 milliliters.
- Finally, it must be placed in a container with a seal to prevent leakage, with a nozzle or lid for protection.
Can I bring an aerosol can of spray sunscreen on a plane?
Yes, passengers can bring a can of spray sunscreen while traveling. However, each ticketed passenger must adhere to certain guidelines, which include:
- Each person has a total capacity of 70 ounces or 2 liters.
- The size of each container is 18 ounces or 500 ml.
Passengers cannot bring more than 2 liters of sunscreen into the airport. If they bring a larger quantity than this, the airport authorities will dispose of it or take it away. It is not possible to bring excessive amounts.